1. Turn on your computer, and then installation media DVD into the DVD drive. If you are performing an unattended installation, connect the removable media (such as a floppy disk or a USB flash drive) that contains your answer files. Depending on the contents of your answer files, you may not see some or any of the following installation screens.
2. Restart your computer. When the message “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD” appears, press any key.
3. Now the first screen appears, choose your, language, time and currency and the keyboard settings you would like to use.
4. Choose Install now to continue the installation
5. You have to accept the license terms to continue
6. I got this window installing SBS 2011 on a Virtual Machine, but I have no clue why it appears because there is not upgrade possibility. So the only logical choice is to choose custom.
7. So now we have to choose the partition to install SBS 2011. Keep in mind that if you choose a partition smaller than 80 GB the installation will further on come to a point you cannot continue. If your partition is between 80 and 120 GB you will receive a warning, but you can continue.
If you see no partitions at all you can choose load driver to load the right 3rd party driver for your storage controller.
8. This is the part where the Windows (SBS 2011 is build on Windows 2008 R2) installation takes place.
During installation the server has to restart a couple of times, this all goes automatically, so just wait.
9. When the installation part is finished this screen will appear. This is screen is new compared to SBS 2008. You will also get this screen so no more completely starting over if you are doing a migration and the usb key answer file is not detected.
For now we are going to do a Clean Install.
10. This is the point where you will receive an error if you have less than 4GB physical memory or you installation partition is smaller than 80 GB. I have written about this here.
Now my partition is between the 80 and 120 GB and I can acknowledge the warning and continue.
11. Here you can check the date, time and time zone settings.
If you are installing SBS 2011 as a Hyper-V virtual machine and time synchronization with the parent is enabled these settings will have to match otherwise the installation will end up with errors.
12. Manually configure or let the setup automatically configure your network settings.
13. If you choose to get the most recent installation updates (recommended) option this will make the installation time seriously longer. It is no problem to install updates after installation is finished.
14. These fields are all optional, but are used at some places in your SBS 2011 installation. You can edit or fill in the information later on after installation.
15. Now we give the server and domain a name. Please take a moment to think about what you choose here because it cannot be changed after installation finished.
16. Since Windows 2008 the build-in Administrator account will be disabled. The account you create here will be your Administrator account to control you SBS 2011 server, so make sure you choose a username and password you can remember.
17. This overview is the last chance to go back and change some setting after you click next it isn’t possible anymore.
18. This is the SBS 2011 installation part and would take depending on your hardware more than 30 minutes. The server will restart at least one time during installation.
19. After installation has finished and you logon for the first time you will receive this window “Succesful installation”.